QISS Admission Procedures
We recommend that all families applying for places at the school come to visit the campus. We will be delighted to show you around the facilities and answer any questions you may have about the program. If you decide to apply to QISS, you will need to follow the steps below:
Step 1 : Submit Application Documents
For a student to be considered for admission, the following documents need to be submitted to the School Development Coordinator:
- Application form for Admission, included in this packet, and two passport-size photos.
- A copy of the applicant and both parents’ passport page, showing the name and date of birth. A copy of any applicable visas should also be submitted.
- School Records for the previous 2 years (grades 2-12): Records in languages other than English must be translated into English and presented with the original records.
- Recommendation Letters: Although not required, letters of recommendation are strongly advised and may be required in some cases. Letters should be confidential and, therefore, sent directly to the School Development Coordinator or submitted in a sealed envelope.
- Application Processing Fee: A non-refundable fee of RMB2000 (US $320) is required for each application. This should be paid at the time the application is submitted. For applicants who live outside of Qingdao, payment can be made by electronic transfer. In this situation parents will be given wiring instructions after the application is received.
Step 2 : Review of Application and Further Screening
Once the application documents have been reviewed, all applicable(grades 2-12) will be invited to schedule a testing appointment, this appointment lasts about two and half hours and will include a personal interview, a writing sample and computer math and reading tests. The purpose of the interview is to determine whether the applicant is a suitable match for QISS and whether English language support will be needed.
In all cases, students applying to grades 2-12 will require further assessment of their English proficiency to determine whether they have sufficient English language skills to be successful in our academic program. These students will be given a computerized reading comprehension test and a math skills test at their grade level. Please see our English Language Support Program for more information.
Step 3 : Notification of Status and Enrollment
Each Applicant will be placed in one of the following categories:
Accepted: Applicants who meet the school’s admission criteria and fit best with the school’s purpose will be invited to enroll. Parents will be requested to complete the acceptance packet and pay the school tuition and fees prior to the first day of class. During the school year, new students may start within 3 school days after being accepted.
Wait Listed: Applicants who meet the school’s admission criteria but cannot be admitted due to lack of space in the grade level or in the appropriate ESL program can be placed on a Wait List, in order of preference. When an opening in that grade occurs, those on the wait list will be contacted in the order listed. Students remaining on the Wait List at the end of the academic year will invited to re-new their application for the next year and will be given preference over new applicants added to the Wait List.
Denied: Students who do not meet the minimum admission criteria may re-apply for the next academic year by completing a new application. Applicants denied due to low English skills will, however, be allowed to repeat the English test after three months and may be re-considered for admission or wait listed if they meet the minimum level.
232 Songling Road
Qingdao, China 266101